With the month of March approaching, a new league year is set to officially begin and the Dolphins now look to the offseason for ways to improve the team for better success next year. The first step of that improvement is looking at their current crop of prospective free agents, and deciding what to do with them. NFL Free Agency for the 2014 league year is scheduled to begin at 4pm EST on Tuesday, March, 11th. Via ProFootballTalk.com, here’s a quick look at all the prospective free agents for the Miami Dolphins for the 2014 offseason:
Unrestricted Free Agents
These players are free to negotiate with any team if not resigned or placed under the franchise tag by their current team by 4pm EST on Monday (3/3). Teams can sign their current free agents without competition up until this date. UFAs can start negotiations will all teams on March 8th, 2014 at 4pm EST, though they can’t officially sign the contract until March 11, 2014 at 4pm EST.
- OT Tyson Clabo
- G Richie Incognito
- G John Jerry- UPDATE- Jerry was signed by the New York Giants on Friday, 3/21
- TE Dustin Keller
- OT Bryant McKinnie
- WR Marlon Moore
- CB Nolan Carroll- UPDATE- Carroll was signed by the Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday, 3/13
- FS Chris Clemons- UPDATE- Clemons was signed by the Houston Texans on Friday, 3/28
- CB Brent Grimes– UPDATE- Grimes was re-signed by the Dolphins on Monday, 3/3
- CB Christopher Owens- UPDATE- Owens was signed with the Kansas City Chiefs, 3/21
- DT Paul Soliai – UPDATE- Soliai was signed by the Atlanta Falcons on Tuesday, 3/11
- LB Austin Spitler
- DT Randy Starks UPDATE- Starks was re-signed by the Dolphins on Wednesday, 3/12
Restricted Free Agents
A restricted free agent is a player with three accrued seasons of service, who has received a qualifying offer from his current team. He can negotiate with any team through May 2nd, 2014 . If a restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new team, his old team has the right to match the offer and retain him, or choose not to match the offer. The deadline for a team exercise this ability, the “First Right To Refusal”, is May 7th, 2014. If the team doesn’t match the offer, they may receive one or more draft picks for the upcoming draft from the player’s new team.
- QB Pat Devlin UPDATE- According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, Devlin was tendered
- CB R.J. Stanford UPDATE- The Cincinnati Bengals have signed R.J. Stanford, 3/24
- OG Danny Watkins UPDATE- According to Pro Football Talk, Watkins was not tendered, and thus becomes a free agent
- OT Will Yeatman UPDATE- According to Barry Jackson, Yeatman was not tendered, and thus becomes a free agent
Exclusive-Rights Free Agents
An exclusive-rights free agents are players with just two years of NFL experience. They cannot negotiate with any team besides their current one.
- WR Armon Binns
- LB Jonathan Freeny
The opinions, analysis and/or speculation expressed by The Finsiders Blog represent those of individual writers, and unless quoted or clearly labeled as such, do not represent the opinions, policies or desires of the Miami Dolphins organization, front office, coaches and executives. Writers' views are formulated independently from any inside information and/or conversation with Dolphins officials, including the coaches and scouts, unless otherwise noted.
15 Responses to “2014 Dolphins Free Agents”
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.