The Dolphins cut their roster down to the NFL-maximum of 53 players this evening and there were definitely some surprises to me, as well as some notable things to keep track of.
Remember, also, that the 53 players on the roster tonight may very well not reflect the finished product; young players who were waived could be added to the practice squad tomorrow and of course, the Dolphins could win a waiver claim on a player or players let go by another team, or make a trade, which would necessitate a corresponding number of cuts.
- The team is carrying three quarterbacks: Pat Devlin in addition to Ryan Tannehill and Matt Moore.
- LB Austin Spitler is one of the more recognizable names let go today.
- There are only four natural WR’s on the roster: Brian Hartline, Mike Wallace, Brandon Gibson and Rishard Matthews. Return man Marcus Thigpen can line up at receiver, as can all of the running backs. Still interesting.
- Versatility is the name of the game for the back-up OL: Nate Garner, Will Yeatman, Josh Samuda and Dallas Thomas are all capable of playing multiple positions.
- The defensive line is interesting. Paul Soliai, Jared Odrick and Randy Starks are the only players listed as DT’s on the roster. Vaughn Martin can probably play inside, though.
- The team has a FB on its roster–technically. Evan Rodriguez isn’t what I’d call a true/traditional FB, but has played that role for the Fins.
- The Dolphins are currently carrying 11 defensive backs: six corners and five safeties. One of them, RJ Stanford, is a core special teamer.
- All nine draft picks from 2013 are still on the roster.
Again, plenty of things could change between now and Week 1 at Cleveland (to say nothing of between now and the middle of the season), but this is where we stand after OTA’s, mini-camp, training camp and five preseason games.
Join us on The Finsiders show Monday at 5pm as we discuss these moves as well as whatever else may come. 940-AM in South Florida or Dolphins.com worldwide.
The opinions, analysis and/or speculation expressed by The Finsiders Blog represent those of individual writers, and unless quoted or clearly labeled as such, do not represent the opinions, policies or desires of the Miami Dolphins organization, front office, coaches and executives. Writers' views are formulated independently from any inside information and/or conversation with Dolphins officials, including the coaches and scouts, unless otherwise noted.
14 Responses to “Quick Thoughts On 53-Man Roster”
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.