From an insight standpoint, the highlight of the show had to be Vontae Davis’s trade to Indianapolis, as we received unprecedented info on a trade in the works. GM Jeff Ireland receives a text message from the Colts and begins asking himself if Davis is in the longterm plans for the Dolphins. Later in the epsisode, we witness a back-and-forth between Ireland and someone on the Colts about the compensation. It appears that Indy first offered a 5th and 6th round pick for Davis, then a third. Ireland insists he needs to be blown away by an offer and eventually receives the second round pick (plus a conditional sixth) that he had been requesting.
When Davis got the news from Ireland, he was visibly shaken and immediately wanted to call his grandmother, who raised him. The GM and the player have a short talk as Ireland tells him that inconsistency in play is what led to this deal getting done. The episode closed with Davis’s things being prepared to be shipped to Indianapolis.
Other notes from episode four:
- The show opened with hints that Davis, TE Les Brown and veteran guard Eric Steinbach could soon be leaving.
- Much of the early part of the show was about players preparing themselves for cuts. Tackle Will Yeatman is shown talking to roommate Charles Clay about an old roommate who was cut four days into camp. Later, Ryan Tannehill is shown talking to the other QBs about the sudden disappearance of FB Ryan Mahaffey.
- Steinbach is shown speaking with Ireland about his retirement, he certainly looked happy that he gave it one last shot and won’t be left asking “what if?”
- We found out about an issue involving second year RB Daniel Thomas, who over the course of a couple of days, was late for a team flight, was out of dress code for the trip and who was 15 minutes late for a weight lifting session. Joe Philbin asks RB coach Jeff Nixon to bring Thomas to his office one day and had a pretty one-sided conversation about personal responsibility.
- There was neat insight from an offensive meeting where coordinator Mike Sherman gets into his group about not helping each other up off the ground.
- Veteran LG Richie Incognito easily hacked into rookie TE Michael Egnew’s iPad and put up an amusing Facebook status for him. Incognito told Egnew that using his jersey number as a password isn’t particularly fool proof.
- We got a nice dose of rookie DL Chas Alecxih, undrafted out of Pitt. We learn of his near-death experience from this past Spring when he took a JetSki out too far in the Gulf of Mexico and was stranded for eight hours before finally being rescued prior to sundown.
- Before last week’s preseason game against Atlanta, defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle is shown with his unit telling them that they should approach this game like the first game of the season or they may not be around for the first game of the season.
- We saw injured QB David Garrard in a luxury suite watching the game. It was clearly strange for him not to be with his teammates.
- After the game, we saw Ireland having post-cut conversations with Alecxih, Jonathan Wade, Marcus Brown, Jerome Messam and Brown.
- Brown and Messam were frustrated by lack of opportunity in games.
- Alecxih received serious compliments from Ireland and was told that the practice squad might be an option.
- Brown was told that he has the advantage of having a defined weakness, his blocking. He said he plans on bulking up, continuing to work hard and trying again at the NFL.
Next Tuesday night’s episode will be the season finale.
The opinions, analysis and/or speculation expressed by The Finsiders Blog represent those of individual writers, and unless quoted or clearly labeled as such, do not represent the opinions, policies or desires of the Miami Dolphins organization, front office, coaches and executives. Writers' views are formulated independently from any inside information and/or conversation with Dolphins officials, including the coaches and scouts, unless otherwise noted.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.