Two days after the team’s first scrimmage of training camp 2012, coach Joe Philbin released his first depth chart of the season.
While there are obviously many things that will change between now and Week 1 at Houston, this piece of paper certainly gives us a decent idea of where the coaching staff’s heads are at.
Starting where most fans are most interested, David Garrard is listed as the starting quarterback. The veteran looked good at Saturday’s scrimmage and has throughout all of camp. He is followed by Matt Moore, rookie Ryan Tannehill and second-year player Pat Devlin.
Other positions of note…
- Legedu Naannee, Davone Bess and Chad Johnson are listed as the starting WRs.
- Brian Hartline, despite not participating in camp so far because of injury, is behind Johnson but in front of Marlon Moore and Roberto Wallace.
- At TE, Anthony Fasano and Charles Clay are predictably the top two, and Jeron Mastrud is listed third, ahead of rookies Michael Egnew and Les Brown.
- The starting offensive line on the depth chart (Jake Long, Richie Incognito, Mike Pouncey, Artis Hicks and Jonathan Martin) has worked together all camp as the first unit. Great to see consistency on the OL.
- Sean Smith and Richard Marshall are listed as the starting CBs, with Vontae Davis behind Marshall.
- The starting defensive line from left-to-right is Jared Odrick, Randy Starks, Paul Soliai and Cameron Wake.
- Chris Clemons and Reshad Jones are the starting safeties
- Marcus Thigpen is listed as the starting kick returner, ahead of Lamar Miller, Steve Slaton and Clyde Gates.
- At punt returner, Davone Bess is listed as the starter.
The coaches surely met after Saturday’s scrimmage to discuss what they have and have not liked since the start of camp and many of those opinions helped to shape this document. Philbin said today that everything that has happened since April 10th has gone into this depth chart, though of course things are fluid and subject to change, even before Friday night’s preseason opener vs. Tampa Bay.
The opinions, analysis and/or speculation expressed by The Finsiders Blog represent those of individual writers, and unless quoted or clearly labeled as such, do not represent the opinions, policies or desires of the Miami Dolphins organization, front office, coaches and executives. Writers' views are formulated independently from any inside information and/or conversation with Dolphins officials, including the coaches and scouts, unless otherwise noted.
16 Responses to “Dolphins Release First Depth Chart of 2012”
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.