With just hours until the Carolina Panthers go on the clock with the first overall pick in this year’s NFL Draft, I figured I should take one more swing at what I think will happen with the Dolphins’ first round choice (#15).
Of course, it would be impossible to predict just one potential outcome, so here is a list of things, in no particular order, that could happen. One of them will. I think. Enjoy…
- The Dolphins draft Mike Pouncey: I’ve really, really warmed up to this idea the last couple of days. I think when all is said and done, Pouncey helps fill a major need (interior offensive line) and while it may seem like a “reach pick” at #15, I’ve heard a ton of people saying he could be in play for the Pats at 17 or the Giants at 19.
- The Dolphins trade down: Perhaps the most popular prediction coming into tonight, it certainly makes sense. The Fins could decide that whatever players are available at #15 don’t fit their wants and needs; they find a team that hopes to move up from the 20’s and swap picks. This could also be a great chance for Miami to recoup the second round selection currently missing from their draft arsenal.
- The Dolphins draft Mark Ingram: A once popular idea has faded a bit as of late, but it is still a definite possibility that the Fins scoop up the 2009 Heisman Trophy winner out of Alabama.
- The Dolphins trade up: There’s a chance that the Fins try and move up the draft order, though it’s probably slim. In fact, I would be shocked. But I’m covering my backside and putting it on the list anyway.
- The Dolphins draft a quarterback: Nice and vague, right? There has been increased buzz surrounding guys like Ryan Mallett, Andy Dalton, Blaine Gabbert, Colin Kaepernick, and yes, even Christian Ponder at 15. I don’t know which of these guys the Fins like, but I do know that without a second round pick, Miami could feel pressure to take a QB in round one.
So there you go, I’ve limited the options for you. Somewhat. One of these things WILL happen tonight. I think. What about you?
The opinions, analysis and/or speculation expressed by The Finsiders Blog represent those of individual writers, and unless quoted or clearly labeled as such, do not represent the opinions, policies or desires of the Miami Dolphins organization, front office, coaches and executives. Writers' views are formulated independently from any inside information and/or conversation with Dolphins officials, including the coaches and scouts, unless otherwise noted.
One Response to “One of These Things WILL Happen Tonight (I think)…”
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.